Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Octuplets Scandle - Children are a Privilege, Not a Right

I was watching the news this morning and I saw a story about the woman in California who recently gave birth to octuplets. Apparently, she’s being contacted about book deals and TV shows and has hired herself a publicist. I find this all rather disturbing. She is a single mom and hasn’t worked for years. She has six children already. How did she pay for the fertility treatments? How is she planning to pay for all the medical bills and childcare? I don’t care what kind of supermom you think you are, one person cannot properly care for 14 children when eight of them are newborns. As more details come out, this whole situation just looks more and more wrong.

From yahoo! News:

While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."

Angela Suleman said her daughter always had trouble conceiving and underwent in vitro fertilization treatments because her fallopian tubes are "plugged up."


Yolanda Garcia, 49, of Whittier, said she helped care for Nadya Suleman's autistic son three years ago.

"From what I could tell back then, she was pretty happy with herself, saying she liked having kids and she wanted 12 kids in all," Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

"She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it."

Garcia said she did not ask for details.

I don’t know this woman, but I do know how challenging it is to raise children, and how expensive it is. It’s trying enough with two loving parents. This…this is playing God or playing the devil, I’m not sure which, but it’s certainly nothing that nature intended. I have a sick feeling that this will be uncovered as some perverted publicity stunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment