Friday, February 13, 2009

Roaming thoughts...

I turned on the news this morning to find that a commercial airliner had gone down in New York – 50 people dead confirmed so far. My condolences to their family and friends. It’s another hard shake reminding us all that we never know when our time on this earth is over.

I used to think I knew what I wanted in life, but now there’s a lot more grey area. Some big things are still the same – I want to take care/be there for my loved ones and be a good caretaker of my corner of the planet. I still think a lot about how to save the world, but I’m less sure of what that means or if it’s even possible. I know I want to provide as much of what my family and I need as possible either personally or locally, and it’s a pretty rare thing now that I make a purchase without thinking about where a thing came from and what impact it’s had on its way to me. Purchases used to be based on need and price (and still are), but I never really thought about much beyond those things.

We dreamed of our place in the country, and now we have it, but we are faced with giving it all up and starting over again. It hurts, because we already have so many memories here and friends and family, but you do what you have to. Certainly we’re not the only ones in this boat. I’m not overly religious, but at this point it’s all in other hands besides mine, and I hope that they place us where we need to be and it’s not too painful to get there. Frankly, it’s a little scary. I like things to be orderly, am slow to make big changes (other than haircuts – it’ll grow back eventually), can’t stand crowds – and yet here I am, standing on the precipice of being thrown back into a bigger city. UUGH!

Our country is on the precipice, too. Odds are that the “stimulus” will be passed, which to my mind will likely go down as one of the biggest debacles of our time. I don’t see how we could ever get out from that huge mountain of debt. The Anchoress was much more eloquent than I, but even small town me can see that this lumbering behemoth of a spending spree is ludicrous. Add that to the increasing threat from around the world of those who would like to see us all dead, and we’ve got real issues. Here's one crisis that's unfolding:

AUSTRALIA has been singled out as a target for "forest jihad" by a group of Islamic extremists urging Muslims to deliberately light bushfires as a weapon of terror.

US intelligence channels earlier this year identified a website calling on Muslims in Australia, the US, Europe and Russia to "start forest fires", claiming "scholars have justified chopping down and burning the infidels' forests when they do the same to our lands".

The website, posted by a group called the Al-Ikhlas Islamic Network, argues in Arabic that lighting fires is an effective form of terrorism justified in Islamic law under the "eye for an eye" doctrine.

The posting - which instructs jihadis to remember "forest jihad" in summer months - says fires cause economic damage and pollution, tie up security agencies and can take months to extinguish so that "this terror will haunt them for an extended period of time".

"Imagine if, after all the losses caused by such an event, a jihadist organisation were to claim responsibility for the forest fires," the website says. "You can hardly begin to imagine the level of fear that would take hold of people in the United States, in Europe, in Russia and in Australia."


Plus, ours apparently isn't the only bone-headed government on the planet. Check out this guy in Australia who bulldozed trees to make a fire break (which saved his house) and was fined and treated like a pariah for doing so. God protect us from stupidity...

No comments:

Post a Comment